Sunday, February 21, 2021

"You just got a problem!"

I know it's always been this way for you. If it's one thing you're famous for is that saying of yours. It's my way, or you can take the freeway. I knew from the beginning there was no second-guessing what was said; she meant every word of it. It's usually not this early in the morning you expect to hear such a statement, especially after adjusting your busy schedule to pick up an individual carpooler who has three cars. She's my boss in all, but this is my vehicle. Do I deserve some respect? Adjustments are some of the goals I've been working on since last summer, but this is a two-hour trip, and I'm thinking in the back of my mind, come on, you got to be kidding me, right? Um, Tabby, could you grab my coffee off the counter in the kitchen? Sure, Mrs. Butkins. Hurry now, I don't want to be late, Mrs. Butkins says in a mild tone as she lets out a loud sigh. Then she throws her leather Kelvin Klien jacket over her left shoulder into Tabby's Subaru Outback's back seat, which was already laden with snacks for their upcoming board meeting in Tampa, Florida. Here we go! Got it, Mrs. Butkins; alright, close the door behind you. I could lock it on the way. Whew, girl, it's freezing! In here, can we get some heat going in what this is again? It's a Subaru, Tabby said softly, but in the back of her mind, it sounded like, "lord, it is the safest car in America!" What's your problem now? Speak up! I could hardly hear you, Tabby, girl! Get the heat going, please. This is my baby Mrs. Butkins, a "Subaru!" What? Okay, I thought you had a remote start on your baby! I wanted to say, 'I chose life over gadgets' so bad, but I stayed in a reserved mode. Tabby, would you believe I stayed up half the night trying to figure out which hotel had the better amenities. I turned my head slightly to the left and chuckled a little, and said Mrs. Butkins, "oh no!" In my mind, you guys know it couldn't be good, but surprising myself, I felt remorseful instead of saying, "I believe it!" I thought to myself for a moment she must be exhausted and reasoned that must be the reason for her outburst. That's until we got on the way and I said, I thought Sidney was handling or scheduling our trip? She did! Had us staying at the Holiday Inn, and a Hyatt was right across the Boulevard. I left you booked at the Holiday Inn, but I will be across the Hyatt's Boulevard at the Hyatt. At least you'll still be able to get company points and complimentary breakfast. Just make sure you're there to pick me up at least 20 minutes early. That should give your baby plenty of time to heat up. Please make sure it's heated! For you, Mrs. Butkins, you know I will. Of course, I will make sure it's nice and warm from the cold. Oh' why won't my mind say it will be nice and frigid? Oh my! Where is the eject button! "Where!?" You know what? It just came to me! In my mind, it's clear. "You just got a problem!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does it really matter in my case?

"Uhh!" I felt as if I was part of this old wooden bed, woven into its smooth silk quilted fabric, unable to break free. I wondered...