Tuesday, December 22, 2020

"Am I Home?"

Three hundred and twenty years ago, my Ancestors were taken from their Western African home and sold to European slave traders brought to American Colonies in the South. My Ancestors were stolen from their families, and forcibly put to work on plantations in the South. Am I home!? I'm African American, an Immigrant of an enslaved people brought from their natural home in Western Africa from the 15th to the 18th Century. So that's it! Please drop the African. "I'm an American!" Why do I have to be constantly reminded I'm from an enslaved people. What's going on? First, I was Negro, Biracial, Colored! Then African-American, Black, Race 2, and now "A Person Of Color!" So I was born here as an Immigrant because my Ancestors were not allowed any freedoms until after America's Colonization. Why was the North and the South so different? Of course, the same smile of wealth still exists to this day. If you hit a man in his pocket or take away his lively hood, he'll fight or even kill. Sadly this happened during the 1739's uprising. Those were dark days indeed. My Ancestors were healthy, and they were bold! And courageous! They were sold, cold, and told. But I'm here today! My Ancestors did all they can to make sure of my survival. My Ancestors made it through. "Who were they?" [Western Africa, I wonder if I have descendants there? I know I do!] "They made it through!" I want to know more so badly. I have so many questions to ask. Where do I start? I love history. I'm an African-American, and I'm Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does it really matter in my case?

"Uhh!" I felt as if I was part of this old wooden bed, woven into its smooth silk quilted fabric, unable to break free. I wondered...