Wednesday, October 28, 2020

"I'm not going to 'wow you,' "but wow!""

"I'm not going to 'wow you,' "but wow!"" I know I've said this over and over for what seems like a thousand times. Ray asked; What is it you looking for again? I can never remember it anyway. I'm looking for that tiny notebook that was sitting on my desk yesterday. You mean lying on your desk yesterday? "Hey, man!" Please, don't sound so caustic about it. I was just asking, have you seen it? That's all. No worries, Freind. Why don't you ask one of the receptionist; they seem to know everything. Maybe I will when I get a moment sometime today. "Ugh!" the new guy! He looks so friable and guileless he'll never make around here. He can't even keep up with his own notebook. "Ugh!" what was I doing again? Oh yeah, I gotta finish my proposal. The deadline is next week. Nobody ever read these things anyway. This is my 7th one this year. Well, I guess when you're basically ask-ing begging for money, I mean funds, you always have to meet their schedule. I wonder who came up with this beautiful idea for everyone to be in a single location. "Cubicles!" Oh, how I dislike them. I'm surrounded by Ted, Bob, Earl, Grace, and now "the new guy!" Willy. As I was pushing print on my Ipad, Earl popped his head in my cubicle to ask, who is the "new guy!" Ray? "What!;" is this roll call or something? Does it look like I have his name tag on my desk? "Go!" ask the receptionist Earl. She thinks she knows everything. "Wow!" you're pretty 'boorish' today. What's gotten to you? "You, Earl!" You can't go poking your head around in someone else's space like that "E-a-r-l!" Oh, my bad, Ray, do I need to pay? Ha. Ha. Not today, Ted, and please don't add any more antics to your already annoying behavior. At least Bob and Grace have their acts together today, huh? Ted. Nah! She was 15 minutes late again. That's the fourth time this week you do the math, Ray. "What?" Oh, you mean like 4x15? Yeah! Let me see 4x5 = 20 carry over the 2, 4x1 = 4, then add 2. I come up with 60 Ted. 60 what? You said to do the math, so I did. "60!" Oh, I see as Ted looked at me as if I were hubristic for coming up with the number sixty. Good Ray as he quickly swung back around to his own cubicle. Bob made top sales again this month, and Bob always seemed in a hurry but was only going 25 feet to get a cup of coffee black with four sugars. You can see Earl, Ted, and Ray with the tip of their noses sticking out the tops of their cubicles trying to take a quick peep a Bob as he stood there, shaking four packs of sugar at the coffee maker waiting for his one-shot black coffee to finish brewing. Ah, you must be the "new guy!" Willy! I am. My name is Willy, what's yours? "Bob!" as he turned to walk away as fast as he got there with a strange look on his face, shanking his head along with the four packs of sugar as he reached his desk. Hm, very arcadian type of fellow. "Does he work here?" Bob asked himself as he knew he did. Um, excuse me miss. I'm the "new guy," Willy. "Oh yeah!" and I'm Angela, the receptionist! How could I help you, "new guy!" Willy? Someone seemed to have picked up my notebook by mistake, you mean you lost it! No, I- yeah, you lost it! Well, look here, um, "new guy!" Willy, right? It ain't up here! I'm the receptionist. I don't see it 'round here. Alright, Miss, the name is Angela, "W-i-l-l-y!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does it really matter in my case?

"Uhh!" I felt as if I was part of this old wooden bed, woven into its smooth silk quilted fabric, unable to break free. I wondered...